Thursday, February 24, 2011

Zak Smith

If Zak Smith was a musician, his work would be punk and grunge. Known for some of his erotic pieces of art, Smith has an edgy, dark side that is revealed through his pictures. It almost reminds me of an emo comic book. His work ranges from very basic shapes and shading to much more elaborate artwork.




I felt like this picture really has a lot of emotion. I'm sure anyone would be a little emotional if their arm was chopped off. Anyways, I feel this picture really exemplifies the comic idea stated earlier, although it is a lot more detailed. I think the spots Smith chose to shade really emphasize certain parts of the picture.




I really liked this picture. You can see where he re-drew parts to create the image he wanted, and also made those final lines darker. It is an interesting perspective for the picture to be drawn from, one not typically seen. I also like the contrasting black garments and lighter garments of the people in the drawing.




At first, I did not think this drawing contained a lot of detail. But at a closer glance, you realize all of the lines within the hair and the creation of shapes to form the eyes. I think this picture relates to the one exercise we did in class where we made shapes to create an image. This picture, however, does not make different shapes every time the plane shifts, just for certain aspects of the portrait.

No comments:

Post a Comment